Spinning Gossamer Threads The Yarns of Orenburg with Galina Khmeleva [DVD] [2-Disc Set]
PieceWork magazine is proud to present a workshop that brings the traditions of Orenburg into your home.
The hand knitted shawls of Orenburg, located in the steppes of the southern Ural Mountains, set a world standard for exquisite handspun yarns and delicate lace patterning. The beauty and durability of these heirloom creations begin with the yarn: Spinning Gossamer Threads Yarns of Orenburg DVD - 2-Disc Set cashmere from the densely-coated goats of the region, an unusual way of preparing the fleece on a Central Asian-style comb, and skillful spindle spinning.
Galina Khmeleva has made a life work of learning the traditional skills of Orenburg spinners and knitters, and promoting their artistry throughout the world. In this DVD, you will learn first-hand:
- The properties of Orenburg cashmere and how they influence the knitting
- How to comb on a tool unique to the region
- How to separate the finest fibers from those more suitable for heavier knitting
- How to spin on the slender, shapely, whorl-free Orenburg spindle
- How to ply and finish your "gossamer thread" yarn
- You'll also hear wonderful stories from a woman who has spent her adult life absorbing the traditions that bring this time-honored folk craft to life.
- Total Running Time: 120 Minutes